Orlando, Florida, Employer Lawyers
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., our team of Orlando’s employment attorneys provides hands-on assistance to startups and existing businesses so that they can construct a legally compliant personnel infrastructure. This includes, among other things, human resource counseling, drafting of contracts and compensation plans, policies, procedures and implementing comprehensive training programs. Our counseling practice covers the full spectrum of employment and labor law, from legal issues relating to recruiting and hiring to terminations, reductions in force and enforcement of post-termination obligations by former employees. Through advice and counseling, Wilson McCoy, P.A., establishes best practices to ensure compliance and avoid costly litigation. Nevertheless, in the event litigation is required, we use our more than 30 years of combined legal experience in employment law to mount strong legal defenses for our clients. Wilson McCoy, P.A., is also equipped to assist its business clients with other transactional work and commercial disputes. In short, our experience permits us to act as our client’s outsourced “in-house” counsel.
A dedicated and loyal workforce is an employer’s most valuable asset. Progressive employers seek to become leaders in their industries by offering competitive wages and benefits, maintaining a safe and productive work environment and providing real opportunities for growth. Yet disagreements with employees are bound to happen, even when an employer is trying their best. Particularly in troubling economic times, almost any action by an employer, no matter how justified or well-intentioned, can give rise to allegations of unfairness or wrongful conduct. These pressures are compounded by an ever-expanding array of employment laws and regulations and sometimes surprising judicial decisions. At Wilson McCoy, P.A., we recognize the challenges faced by today’s employers and their human resource professionals. Through day-to-day counseling and training, we help clients avoid workplace disputes. And if litigation becomes necessary, we offer clients the highest quality litigation and courtroom capabilities.
Counseling, Advice, Training
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., more than anything, we want to help our clients avoid being involved in a workplace dispute. To aid in this goal, a large portion of the employer-focused aspect of our practice is devoted to providing counseling and training services that explain in detail what employers must do to comply with applicable laws.
This helps us avoid disputes down the road, and also allows you to create a strong bond with your employees. They know what to expect and you have the peace of mind knowing that you have taken the necessary steps to protect yourself should a problem arise. Wilson McCoy’s attorneys provide guidance and advice to employers on a host of day-to-day and big picture matters including:
- Developing strong internal procedures and policies to protect IP and other trade secrets
- Writing and implementing employee handbooks and manuals that discuss an employee’s responsibilities and your obligations as an employer
- Negotiating and drafting employment contracts for those employees who require such agreements
- Reviewing and explaining the laws that apply to certain aspects of your practice, be they general laws that apply to overall workers or specific laws that apply to your industry
- Discussing the steps needed if large-scale employee changes will be occurring, such as a plant closing or mass layoffs
- Explaining the requirements if termination of employees is required
- Investigating workplace incidents and determining appropriate disciplinary actions
- Implementing policies that help reduce workplace violence
- Making sure that a workplace complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and similar state laws
- Reviewing policies for compliance with the Family & Medical Leave Act, the ADA, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act and state workers’ compensation laws
Our attorneys frequently give presentations to business owners and other management personnel on a host of sensitive employment law matters. If you would like a member of our team to give a presentation to your workplace or group, please reach out to us to learn if we can help.
Small Business Retainer Program
To enhance our ability to provide training and counseling to our clients, Wilson McCoy, P.A., has developed a Small Business Retainer Program as an alternative to traditional hourly billing. We recognized that some employers, concerned about running up a legal bill, sometimes hesitate to contact their attorney to ask about what is perceived to be a routine employment issue, only to discover later that the issue has escalated into a major and costly dispute. Through our Small Business Retainer Program, clients pay a flat monthly fee to receive regular employment law advice and receive deep discounts to our regular billable hourly rate. At no additional cost, Orlando’s Wilson McCoy, P.A., attorneys will visit a client’s business and determine the client’s employment law needs. This permits our attorneys to gain a greater understanding of the dynamics of a client’s workplace, which will enhance our ability to assist a client in avoiding or resolving disputes with minimal cost or disruption. Contact us for more information regarding our Small Business Retainer Program.
Employment Litigation Defense
Our lawyers frequently handle complex litigation for our clients. We understand that time is money, and we do everything we can to find an efficient resolution of the claims you are facing. We know that your reputation is important, and we strive to help you find solutions that protect your interests. If we cannot come to an agreement with the opposing parties before trial, we will zealously defend your matter in the courtroom. We have successfully defended employer’s rights against claims alleging:
- Failure to accommodate disabilities
- Wrongful termination or discharge
- Retaliation claims
- Breach of contract claims
- Harassment or discrimination
- Unpaid overtime or other wage and hour law violations
- Noncompete or nondisclosure concerns
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., our Orlando employment attorneys have handled cases with both federal and state courts and agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR), the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We understand employment litigation is charged with emotions and negative publicity, however, we can help our clients minimize the negative effects and keep their positive business reputation. Call us today to find out more about our litigation capabilities.
Business Organizations And Startups
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., we handle the full range of small business legal matters, however large or small. We understand that our clients do not have the time or expertise to handle legal matters. Their time is best spent on their businesses. Accordingly, we help startups and small businesses with the formation of business entities such as a corporation or LLCs; handling corporate work of all kinds and advising on corporate maintenance; drafting, reviewing, and advising on contracts of all kinds including commercial leases and standard terms; employment and contractor issues and counseling; trademark and other intellectual property matters; internet law; and commercial transactions. In summary, we can act as contracted “in-house counsel” for our small business and startup clients.
Commercial litigation includes a wide range of litigation over any business matter, from simple contract disputes to highly complex matters. Commercial litigation may include any of the following:
- Breach of contract or fiduciary duties
- Tortious interference with contracts or business relationships
- Shareholder/partnership or corporate Management and control disputes
- Business dissolutions
- Noncompete agreements
- Unfair competition
- Collection issues
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., we represent both large and small businesses, as well as individual clients, in a wide range of contractual/quasi-contractual matters such as:
- Breach of sales
- Agency agreements
- Tortious interference with contracts or advantageous business relationships
- Breach and enforcement of franchise and intellectual property agreements.
Our firm also handles a broad range of employment-related disputes such as:
- Enforcement of a noncompete covenant
- Defending businesses against EEOC complaints
- Defending businesses against discrimination claims
- Defending businesses against wage and hour claims
- Employment contracts disputes
If you or your business have a need for any of the above-described services, please do not hesitate to contact us today so we may put our 30-plus years of combined legal experience to work for you.